Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:35:30 +0100
From:      Felix =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChling?= <fxkuehl@gmx.de>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        acardenas@bsdperu.org
Subject:   Re: ports/76257: nvidia_driver breaks xorg-clients build

[ Reply-to-all this time ... ]

Am Montag, den 21.02.2005, 01:53 -0500 schrieb Mikhail Teterin:
> 	[CC-ing the author of xdriinfo]
>=20
> Felix, please, take a look at:
>=20
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/76257
>=20
> The patch is wrong -- the program compiles, but does
> not work (``libgGL is too old'').

That's because xdriinfo relies on implementation-specific features of
Xorg's libGL. See below for more details.

>=20
> The problem is, NVidia's GLX-implementation is version
> 1.3, while XOrg expects (and provides) 1.4.
>=20
> However, it may be possible to obtain the information,
> which the xdriinfo.c is trying to obtain with these two
> glXGetProcAddress-calls, using glXGetProcAddressARB or
> some other pre-GLX_1_4 method.

If I use glXProcAddressARB with the GLX implementation from Xorg I get
this:

xdriinfo.c: In Funktion =BBmain=AB:
xdriinfo.c:60: Warnung: implicit declaration of function
`glXGetProcAddressARB'

Unless someone shows me a good way to find out which version is
available at build time, I'm not going change this in Xorg CVS.

>=20
> Then we can have xdriinfo, which works with all of GL
> implementations available for FreeBSD.
>=20
> Finally, what's in xdriinfo, that's not in glxinfo?

xdriinfo has a completely different purpose. It is used to find all
direct rendering-capable screens and extract XML documents describing
configuration options from the driver binaries.

For this purpose it uses some implementation-specific functions of libGL
(it uses glXGetProcAddress to find these functions). Since NVidia has
its own libGL, xdriinfo can't do anything useful with NVidia's libGL.
One more reason for me, not to care too much about NVidia.

>=20
> 	-mi
>=20

Regards,
  Felix

--=20
| Felix K=FChling <fxkuehl@gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |