Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 11:24:39 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        rpt@miles.sso.loral.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ?? host name resolution

    Richard> Gentlemen; I am in the process of learning HTML and
    Richard> such. I just installed the Apache httpd on my 2.1R
    Richard> system.

You don't need an HTTP server to test out your skills with HTML.  Just
write up your pages and use the `file:' URL, such as:

	file:/home/rpt/experiments/html/test.html

If the ``and such'' refers to more advanced web features like CGI or
server administration, then yes, you do need a server.

    Richard>   The problem is "what name do I use in a URL to find my
    Richard> own server?"

localhost ought to do it.

    Richard> and "Is this Netscape going direct to DNS or FreeBSD's
    Richard> resolution?"

Despite whatever you can set up, that's up to Netscape, really.

    Richard>  If I drop the ppp link, my server is found...?  Any
    Richard> thoughts???

And if the PPP link is up, your server isn't found?  In any case, I'd
check to make sure your loopback route is installed.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov