Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:34:33 -0700
From:      "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Desperately trying to get X to work...

Hi all,

I am trying to get X to work on my computer, but I am not having much luck.
I have read the book (The Complete FreeBSD), I have read the errata, I have
downloaded and used the new chapter 8 of the book, I have looked at past
list archives....All with no luck.

Basically what happens is when I configure and run X, I hear my monitor
click and then go black.  I stays that way until I kill X, and cycle my
monitor off and on.

I have an IBM ValuePoint computer (i486/66 DX2) with built-in S3 video.
SuperProbe reports:
First video: Super-VGA
	Chipset: S3 86C805, C-step (Port Probed)
	Memory:  1024 Kbytes
	RAMDAC:  AT&T 20C490 15/16/24-bit DAC
		 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
		 (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)

For what it is worth, Win 95 reports that I have S3 video and that the
chipset is 801/805 Rev E.  (Sidebar: In windows I can regularly use 800x600
and 16-bit color with no problems).

I have verified on the monitor manufacturer's web site what the horizontal
and vertical refresh rates are, so that part should be OK (it's not in the
monitors database).

When I configured X, it only presents me with three chipset options for S3.
Those are mmio_928, newmmio, and s3_generic.  No 86C805!  Because of all of
the "deadly warnings" about frying monitors AND chipsets, I have only
selected s3_generic so far.  I have configured the memory for 1MB, and the
RAMDAC (whatever that is...) to att20c490, but I am not sure about the rest
of the stuff that SuperProbe spit out, like ...15/16/24-bit DAC... and the
stuff about lookup tables.  I assume it has to do with color depth.
Finally, I also did not choose any clock chip support since SuperProbe did
not tell me any thing about clock chips.

I had the config script run X -probeonly to put the clock lines into the
configuration.

When I run startx, my monitor clicks, and goes black.

As an experiment, I reconfigured X to use the SVGA server instead of S3 and
I can get that to work in 8-bit color mode only (looks _real_ ugly).  As
soon as I try and use the SVGA configuration with something more than 8-bit
color...you guessed it, click-and-black.

Am I suppose to use mmio_928 or newmmio?  How do I know which one?  Will it
hurt my computer if I try and it is wrong? What else do I need to look at?

Thanks, and please be sure to cc directly to me since I don't subscribe to
FreeBSD-questions because of the high volume.

Jim