Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:15:01 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        VVI HOSTMASTER <hostmaster@vvi.at>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, tobez@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: perl-5.8.8 on 4.11 Stable

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 12:52:19AM +0100, VVI HOSTMASTER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know are there any caveats on using the ports version of
> perl to update the default install of perl 5.005?
>
> I figure it would be far more simple to do this on a 5.x install since
> it requires the port version.
>
> Thank you in advance,

The present framework used on 4.x (that is, mixing base system perl
with ports perl) is quite good.  I've yet to run into any issues with
it on our 4.x boxes.

Changes will be made to /etc/make.conf by the installation script
to make sure that the base system perl no longer gets built/used
during make buildworld/installworld.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |