Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:04:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>, matt <matt@bluemoon.27south.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Security Issues And Iso Images

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 08:04:27PM -0400, Jim Durham wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Mark Rowlands wrote:
> >
> > > 9) cd /usr/src
> > >
> > > make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL \
> >
> > I don't want to confuse the issue... but I have "an issue" 8-) . Aren't
> > you building your kernel against old libs? IMHO you want to do your
> > buildworld, then drop to single-user (you can't install a running binary),
> > do your installworld, then buildkernel, then installkernel, so that your
> > new kernel is built against the newly installed libraries.
>
> Nope, make buildkernel will use the libraries in /usr/obj that were
> built by the previous buildworld.
> builworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld  is the correct
> sequence.

> You might want to drop into single user mode before the installworld
> but as long as the system is quiet that isn't necessary.

Maybe I'm out of date, but how do you replace a running binary that
is mapped into address space while it's running? The only way to do
it, as far as I know, is to rename it and then create a new binary
which will run after a reboot, leaving the old file there with another
name. Does the script do all this, or have the rules changed?

Also, in my reading somewhere, and I can't find it now of course,
it was mentioned that you had to specifically ask for the /obj libs
to be used, and the person didn't feel this worked well for some
reason I also forget (I forget a lot lately)

If you can amplify on the whys of all this, I'm sure there are others
who would be very interested.

Thanks,

Jim