Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:04:35 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Remote kernel debugging over serial

Hi folks,

I'm trying to use the instructions in Chapter 22.4 of the handbook to
debug a problem I have using teh ATAPI CD-ROM driver in 2.2-STABLE.

I think I've followed the instructions in the handbook to the letter,
but am having a bit of a problem trying to get gdb to talk to the
debugging kernel on the target host. I'm using a null modem cable on
serial0 of each box (/dev/cuaa0). The cable itself has been tested by a
friend using Wintendo games that called for "a null modem cable". I
assume there's only one workable wiring standard for such a thing.

This is the error I get:

| [root@axl] /usr/src/sys/compile/GDB # gdb -k kernel
| GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
|  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
| There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for
| details.
| GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
| Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
| (kgdb) target remote /dev/cuaa0
| Remote debugging using /dev/cuaa0
| Ignoring packet error, continuing...
| Ignoring packet error, continuing...
| Couldn't establish connection to remote target
| Malformed response to offset query, timeout
| (kgdb)

Thanks,
Sheldon.