Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:09:00 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.conf being ignored

Quoting Matthew Schroebel <mschroebel@yahoo.com>:
 [000916 19:59]:
#>Hi all.  I'm trying to both upgrade my mail server to
#>FreeBSD 4.1 and install a larger drive at the same
#>time.  So I decided to put the drive in a different
#>machine, install FreeBSD 4.1 on it, move the rc.conf,
#>rc.firewall, sendmail.cf, etc over to the new drive,
#>then put the new drive in the mail server and boot it.
#> The trouble is, the /etc/rc.conf file is being
#>ignored.  I looked at /etc/defaults/rc.conf and the
#>code to load the local overrides has changed from
#>prior versions. Not knowing shell scripting language,
#>and not wanting to change /etc/defaults/rc.conf, I'm
#>stuck.
#>
#>The code at the end of /etc/defaults/rc.conf is
#>
#>if [-z "${source_rc_confsdefined}" ]; then
#>    source_rc_confs_defined=yes
#>    source_rc_confs ( ) {
#>        local i sourced_files
#>        for i in ${rc_conf_files}; do
#>           case ${sourced_files} in
#>            *:$i:*)
#>                   ;;
#>            *)
#>             sourced_files="${sourced_files}:$i"
#>             if [ -r $i ]; then
#>                . $i
#>             fi
#>             ;;
#>            esac
#>      done
#>}

Wasn't that weird? There are procedures for moving to new disks....
search the archives and redo the thing nicely, sir.

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all
your money.