Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2019 05:25:03 GMT
From:      iam@sdf.org
To:        bjb@sourcerer.ca, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any way asm people could contribute?

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Sun Feb 10 22:46:50 2019
> From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb@sourcerer.ca>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: any way asm people could contribute?
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 04:35:03PM -0500, John Levine wrote:
> > In article <U-T5V9GBTMH0X4T_hYmtSc4B19QRNPzkirSo_g45l-czdcQaEvhYekzafkZcQOM_Nb9IQ6Qx3EXEQ-aeRrDJkPrqMnQky88TZZlDfr9iTGA=@protonmail.ch> you write:
> > >If anyone can give more precise information about how to
> > >contribute in assembly language, I would find it interesting too.
> >
> > I think there are a few libraries that have optional assembly language
> > versions of speed critical parts.  But in general I agree with you
> > that drivers are the place to look.
> >
> > Keep in mind that every different architecture has its own assembly
> > language, so if you've fixed a driver in i386 assembler, there's
> > probably another version in amd64 assembler and possibly in the
> > various powerpc and arm assemblers.
>
> There are assembly bits in valgrind, you could also look in
> libc and equivalents, also the other tools like strace, ld, etc.
>
> Compilers might have some parts in assembly (gcc, clang, etc).
>
> I don't know of any project that is largely in assembly - the only
> ones I know of are mainly C with some small bits in assembly.
> So could be a steep learning curve learning the intricacies of
> the thing in which the assembly is embedded (so to speak).
>
> Maybe also look for embedded type projects, or non-usual
> architectures.  Maybe also libm, data science, graphics libraries -
> places where there are cpu-intensive operations that need
> optimization.  What about the projects that run on graphics
> processors (boinc project or other distributed/crowd computing
> for example).  Bitcoin mining (might run on dedicated ASICs).
>
> I would be interested to hear if you find something interesting
> to work on.
>
> bjb

i am currently learning x86 assembly and will
be going further on to x86_64 assembly soon.
i think i will focus on the x86_64 platform
only and work at improving support for more
modern x86_64 extensions like avx, avx2,
avx-512, simd and others as they come along.
for the same, i have looked into a the method
employed by the solaris linker loader due to
which a single binary can have multiple
capabilities as per the capabilities offered
by the processor. this i believe is a much
better approach than having compile time
binary generation which leads to multiple
binaries floating around.
i think, as i get better as assembly, i'll
look into improving the freebsd linker loader
and then later work on a newer assembler for
x86_64.