Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>
Cc:        mike.wentz@3ware.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

On 20-Aug-01 Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:
> Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com> wrote:
>> Our Raid 5 array server that died durring rdisting of data
>> recovered after removing the power for a moment ... It
>> showed 2 failed drives however and rebuilding failed twice.
>
> Er, can you have 2 failed drives in a working RAID-5 array?  Or am I
> missing something here?

 I was assuming the presece of a hot spare.
 The failures I have been getting so far have been 1 drive fails..
 the hot spare starts trying to kick in.. This taxes the other drive(s) and it
(or some other) drive in the array (raid 5 or raid 10) fails before the hot
spare even kicks in.

>> This doesn't help Nicole, but I can say that I have seen
>> (two) intermittent power-up lockups with an Escalade 6200
>> -- lockups that an hard reset will not help.  I have to do
>> a full power cycle (but the raid 1 array is fine).
>
> I recently bought a 3Ware 6200.  Before I did anything, I updated my
> firmware (with the late June release) and then created the RAID-0 array
> (two Maxtor 80GB drives).  0 problems so far at just under 2 months, I
> hope I continue to have none either.

 I have a 3ware raid a well  that so far has been A-ok. However it is not
loaded much. The arrays so far have seemed ok, until loaded like a very busy
server with lots of IO.
 SO far out of 4 servers attempted with the 3ware card.. not one has survived.
Only my personal one which is obviosly less loaded.

> I'm now looking to buy a 4-channel and 8-channel card.  I am on various
> lists (XFS, Linux, NFS, etc...) where people have had issues with 3Ware
> 6000-series cards with RAID-5 volumes, but no one is having issues with
> RAID-0, 1 or 0+1 (aka 10).  Plus the RAID-5 write performance on the
> 6000-series is not optimal (although the 7000-series is supposed to
> change that).  So I think I'm going to stick with RAID-0+1 for these
> drives, even if it means losing a 80-240GB in effective disk space
> verses RAID-5 (160GB instead of 240GB on the 4-channel, and 320GB
> instead of 560GB on the 8-channel).

 Yea.. Thats is my plan as well. Ideally I woudl prefer to have two servers..
mirroring each other in JBOD (so its a server mirror)  But I am uncertain how
to mirror the file systems thus far.
 However my boss has given up for now and we are going back to SCSI it seems.

> Any comments?  I know this is a FreeBSD list, but I want to hear if
> anyone has any comments on this.

 As I said before, I don't think it is a driver issue, or a FreeBSD issue, but
more a, can IDE's take the abuse and how well can 3ware deal with the myriad of
error reporing they told me is a problem with IDE drives.
 I have heard they wil soon have a way to remap around bad sectors on the fly,
This would prevent them from having to drop the disk in the event of error
reporting hopefully.

  Nicole

> -- TheBS
>
> P.S.  My target platform is Linux -- specifically RedHat 7.1 + SGI's XFS
> 1.0.1 filesystem.  I have been running XFS for over 6 months now without
> an error.  I cannot consider any other JFS because I have NFS clients
> (and ReiserFS and JFS continue to have kNFSd issues), and I really want
> the ACL support of XFS for Samba/Windows as well (which rules out Ext3,
> which I love on kernel 2.2, but don't trust on kernel 2.4 yet).
>
> --
> Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
> Engineer  Absolute Value Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org
> President     SmithConcepts, Inc.    http://www.SmithConcepts.com

   *    Nicole Harrington | AKA Hodge Podge          *
  nicole@unixgirl.com           http://www.unixgirl.com/
  webmistress@dangermouse.org   http://www.dangermouse.org/
  nicole@deviantimages.com      http://www.deviantimages.com/