Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 20:44:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Simerson <matt@michweb.net>
To:        Steve Khoo <steve@gordian.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT SmartRAID V Century

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Steve Khoo wrote:

> Does anyone know what the status of DPT SmartRAID V driver project is?  Is it
> close to release?

You were just told it in his email. Simon is "The MAN" when it comes to
DPT drivers for FreeBSD and if if I'm not mistaken, also for BSDI. I have
a half a dozen DPT RAID controllers in machines floating around that I
admin and and some were on the bleeding edge of driver-dom. RAID
installations are no place for beta testing drivers. Listen to Simon.
Simon says use SmartRAID IV for a while.

Matt

> Simon Shapiro wrote:
> >
> > Andre Oppermann, On 20-Jan-99 you wrote:
> > >  -snip-

> > >  Cool! But how does that translate into release dates? I have to build
> > >  a box within the next 2-3 weeks...
> >
> > If you need to deploy a mission critical DPT solution, until further
> > notice, use the SmartCache IV.  It will be few weeks before coding is done
> > on the V series, and even then it will have to go through weeks of testing,
> > stress-testing and more testing.  RAID solutions are typically deployed
> > when one really hates data loss.  Use a proven technology until I gather
> > the courage and confidence to recommend the new generation.
> >
> > Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
> >                                              770.265.7340
> > Simon Shapiro
> >
> > Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-scsi" in the body of the message

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-scsi" in the body of the message

  Matt Simerson                    http://users.michweb.net/~matt
  MichWeb Inc. - President         http://www.michweb.net
  The Art Farm - Technical Wizard  http://www.theartfarm.com

  Better to dare Mighty Things and fail, than to live in     __o
    a gray twilight where there is neither victory or      _-\<,_
    defeat. -- attributed to Theodore Roosevelt     ......(_)/ (_)