Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 19:33:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help with disk tuning.

I'm about to add a new Hawk to my system and would like to optimize all of
my drives. Maybe I haven't R'ed enough of TFM. If so, please point me in
the right direction.

The default disklabel defines a disk at 3600 RPM with an interleave of 1.
Are these numbers _actually_ used? Can performance be boosted by defining
rotational speed as 5400 (or whatever the drive is rated) with an
interleave of 0?

If I do this, I suspect I'm pushing the envelope (Tekram SCSI card on an
ISA bus). Would I gain anything by increasing block and fragment size?
Say 16k block and 2k fragment? Or -- what about a block size of a full
cylinder with a fragment of 1/8th cylinder?

Thanks.

-- Jay