Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 08:55:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@toy.chip-web.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: warning concerning a public proxy [was Re: network scan?]

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Ludwig Pummer wrote:
	[ ... ]
> Setting up a public proxy might feel real good, but it won't any more after
> @Home cancels your account.

Worse than that: when they disconnect you, your install fees are kept and
you have useless hardware worth less than you paid. With xDSL you can
usually switch to another ISP. I know of several folks who left the ISP I
worked for, did something that hacked-of (not hacked 8{) the @home admins,
and came back rather quickly. Typically it's a Quake server or a small FTP
server for their digital camera pictures for relatives. One was a
warez/MP3 site and we wouldn't like those either when the lawyers visited.

Have fun... - Jy@