Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:35:37 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

Andrew, while I disagree with a lot of what Anthony is saying there's a
lot of basis to this figure.  If the IT person happens to be working
for a corporation, the _total cost_ of each of his hours (remember the
corporation
has to pay a bunch of extra costs for each employee starting with the
payroll taxes like the employer matching Social Security) can hit $100
quite fast.

>	I see... so that's why so many people out there are rushing
>to toss out
>their FreeBSD-powered routers for pieces from our friends at Cisco, etc. ?

Here again is an apples-to-oranges comparison.  What Anthony is comparing
FreeBSD against is something like the $70 LinkSys DSL router, not a Cisco
1605 which costs almost 20 times that amount new.  But his comparisons are
wrong for other reasons.