Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 04:19:13 -0400
From:      Gerard Samuel <trini0@optonline.net>
To:        david@banning.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: security question

David Banning wrote:

> I am setting up a small network of Windows desktops that are
> accessing the net through a FreeBSD server. If I disable telnet, ftp,
> and everything in inetd.conf leaving only http open, what are my
> risks?

It would be foolish to think that you are untouchable.  There are always
risks, even
with http.  http is the way to go for hackers nowadays...

> I have webadmin running.
> I'd would *like* telnet and shell (rshd) to run, so I can telnet
> in. I can't imagine how someone could break in to a system, so
> I am pretty lost in assessing this risk.

Setup ipfilter or ipfirewall, and watch the logs, youll be amazed

> I know SSH is better for telneting in to the server, but then
> it has to be on every machine that you telnet in from.

Take the extra steps to do it....

> When I hear "don't use telnet unless you have to", I
> wonder. I know several sites that have telnet where I can login,
> and those places are alot bigger that my little'ol place.
>
> If I use telnet, is there really such a risk?

Only one way to find out, run it.....
You should see my ipfilter logs dropping all kind of connections a day,
even port 21 (telnet)

> I'm going all over the place here. Maybe someone could reccomend a good
> place to learn about this topic?
> I started with the FreeBSD Security How-to which is a good starter.

Do a google search..