Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:01:25 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bogdanfaina@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: asking for help

Hi Bogdan,

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 07:46:47 -0800 (PST)
        faina bogdan <bogdanfaina@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello, my name is Bogdan Faina and I wote you a couple oof times regarding
>to the HDF5 instalation. I read the notes abot this matter and I tried to
>install first only the precompiled binaries for freebsd_4.9 but I've fount
>out that in the ports packages exists the HD5 latest version available so I
>have updated the freebsd packages and then from ports I did <<<<<make
>install clean>>>. So that way the computer installed itself the Hdf5. Until
>here it,s all allright but I don't understand a thing: Why it is not
>included the fortran90 compiler  h5fc.
>Please answer me this questions: How can I add the Fortran90 compiler to my
>actual Hdf5?
>What solution exists to this matter?
>How can I get some help regarding to the understanding how Hdf5 works?
>Can I get a mail adress from someone who uses Hdf5 and is available to
>explain to me how it works or if it is a forum for Hdf5 users?
>I'm a student at Physics and I need Hdf5 to complete my Bachelor Degree and
>to use it storing data from a program that simulates Crystals Growth.
>Thank you for your time and I can hardly wait to hear news from you.

As far as I know, there is no native equivalent of the F90
compilers requested by hdf5's configure program. This
is probably why it is disabled by default. (You can quickly
hack graphics/hdf5/Makefile to include the cofigure option
'--enable-fortran' to check this.)

I know no fortran, so I can't really verify what's f77 versus
f90, but I've read comments stating that 'f77 -ff90' should
compile f90 programs. (No verification and hacking it
directly into the configure program didn't work.)

So far, I was unable to find a free source code distribution
for a f90 compiler, though I imagine it exists somewhere.
There are a number of linux native f90 compilers, but I'm
not sure on run-ability or quality of such a thing.

(One I found:
http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/downloads/forlin.htm )

Maybe some of the others here can suggest an
appropriate program... (Have homework to do,
otherwise, I'd try some more; maybe later...)

About your general questions, and all, try the site listed
in the pkg-descr: http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/

Hope you get it working,
Clayton

PS. Please try to break lines at around 80 char.s in the
future (standard for this list).

Find high-speed ‘net deals — comparison-shop your local providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com