Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:18:17 +0000
From:      Matt Bostock <matt@mattbostock.com>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypto missing after FreeBSD-Update to 6.2-RELEASE

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply.

> What makes you think that the crypto code is missing?

When I try to install www/apache20 from ports, I get this error:

Dependency error: this port requires the OpenSSL library, which is part of
the FreeBSD crypto distribution but not installed on your
machine. Please see the "OpenSSL" section in the handbook
(at "http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/openssl.html", for instance)
for instructions on how to obtain and install the FreeBSD
OpenSSL distribution.
*** Error code 1

I presume that since OpenSSL isn't installed, the crypto dist would be missing too? What's the best way to verify that?

> I removed the IDS option because I didn't think anyone used it.  Since
> then I
> have heard from lots of people who used it, so I'm going to add the IDS
> option
> back soon. :-)

Great news :-)

Many thanks for your help,