Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:02:37 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Panic out of dqget() (was: What caused this Panic)

--sHrvAb52M6C8blB9

On Thursday,  6 February 2003 at 19:21:18 -0500, Simon wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:16:39 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Monday, 27 January 2003 at 22:29:15 -0500, Simon wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just had a server panic due to something wrong with disk quotas, I guess.
>>>
>>> panic: dqget: free dquot isn't
>>>
>>> Can someone please explain what the above is about.
>>
>> Yes, it means that the kernel found a discrepancy in quota allocation,
>> in the function dqget() (/usr/src/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_quota.c).
>>
>> Possibly that's not enough for you. To find out more, we need a dump.
>> Even then, it could be difficult. A little information on the
>> circumstances could help.
>
> I have the dump now. I've sent this to freebsd-bugs. I'm not sure
> if that was the right place.

It's a good first step.

> How should I proceed to have someone debug this? The core dump is
> 2GB

If you don't get an answer to your message, send a PR (use send-pr for
this).  In view of the size of the dump, you probably want to consider
giving somebody access to the dumps on your machine.  They'll also
need access to the source code.  You *did* build a kernel with debug
symbols, right?

Greg
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key

--sHrvAb52M6C8blB9