Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 09:47:06 -0800
From:      Mahadevan Iyer <iyer@internetdevices.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        java-port@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, saurabh@internetdevices.com, namit@internetdevices.com, iyer@internetdevices.com
Subject:   Re: Possible Bug in JVM socket code on FreeBSD, java.net.Socket

--------------2B26B08D439ED335EC740E05

Hello Nate,

thanks for the feedback

> For what it's worth, I have tracked down this 'bug' and now know what
> the problem is.  It's related to the select code used in FreeBSD
> limiting the JVM to 255 *total* file descriptors.  Unfortunately, I
> don't (yet) have a way to increase the number of descriptors
> arbitrarily, so until we come up with a solution the limit is 250.

Just to confirm that I understand the problem

     The select code used in the JVM limits the *total* file
     descriptors
     This is not a problem with the FreeBSD socket lib

This is not a OS limit that can be tweaked.

--------------2B26B08D439ED335EC740E05

<HTML>
Hello Nate,

<P>thanks for the feedback
<BR>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>For what it's worth, I have tracked down this 'bug'
and now know what
<BR>the problem is.&nbsp; It's related to the select code used in FreeBSD
<BR>limiting the JVM to 255 *total* file descriptors.&nbsp; Unfortunately,
<BR>don't (yet) have a way to increase the number of descriptors
<BR>arbitrarily, so until we come up with a solution the limit is 250.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
Just to confirm that I understand the problem
<BLOCKQUOTE>The select code used in the JVM limits the *total* file descriptors
<BR>This is not a problem with the FreeBSD socket lib</BLOCKQUOTE>
This is not a OS limit that can be tweaked.
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>