Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 14:39:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuration of DHCPD + DNS

Couple of questions regarding the configuration of dhcpd (ISC dhchd 2)

My current setup:

---------------------------------------
# Created 09.18.98

# Global Parameters

option domain-name "local.net";

option domain-name-servers
   10.0.0.4,

# Make pokey.local.net the default router/gateway
option routers 10.0.0.4;

allow unknown-clients;

shared-network LOCAL-NET {
   subnet 10.0.0.0
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   {
      range 10.0.0.5
            10.0.0.254;
   }
}

group {
   host dynamic.local.net {
      fixed-address 10.0.0.2;
   }
   host insomnia.local.net {
      fixed-address 10.0.0.3;
      hardware ethernet 00:40:05:6a:9c:d5;
   }
}
-------------------------------

Dhcp is only used to configure Windows machines, but I'm not fond of
the way in which it does it.  I'd like to have a situation where:

  * windows box has it's name set in the windows properties, but not
    it's ip/gateway/netmask/etc...
  * windows box asks dhcpd for the rest of the networking info.
  * dhcp hands out IP address/gateway/etc... and then somehow interacts
    with named and updates the relevant configuration etc...

What I'd like in the end is to be able to add boxes to the network,
and instantly provide nameservice to them without having to
reconfigure and restart named each time I add a new machine.

Is this possible or am I dreaming?  If it is possible, without any
extensive modifications, I plan to use it on a much larger network
than the one in my apartment!

Thanks, as always,
Jim