Date:      Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:34:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dmp@bitfreak.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Determining disk device and kicking GEOM when doing automatic mounting of umass devices

In message: <000001c56d5f$efe5c260$0a2a15ac@SMILEY>
            "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org> writes:
: These tricks are ridiculous, IMO.  There has to be a more intelligent means
: of going about this.  How do I get the scsi disk device name created for a
: umass device as soon as it's created?  How do I inform GEOM that it needs to
: add a new MBR to it's configuration and create the appropriate /dev/da?s*
: devices?

One way is to make devd grok devices arriving and leaving from /dev.
One could kludge it to send out geom events, but I think that's
insufficiently general since it reports too many things that aren't of
interest.  Of course, you have no way of knowing what entries in /dev
really are, apart from pattern matching.

As to your second question, GEOM and/or da (it depends on who you ask)
need to react to certain events and re-taste the device.  This isn't
done automatically, especially when da0 changes from a 32MB to a 64MB
part, for reasons I've never known.

Warner