Date:      Tue, 31 May 2016 20:30:15 +0100
From:      Will Squire <will_squire@hotmail.co.uk>
To:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can ipfw be used to limit concurrent requests from an IP?

> On 29 May 2016, at 14:20, Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz> wrote:
>=20
> On 28/05/2016 05:04, Will Squire wrote:
>> Can ipfw limit the number requests in a given amount of time from a
>> specific IP?
>>=20
>> To contextualise, if an IP sends requests in high concurrency (let's
>> say 50 a second) can ipfw either block requests the exceed a
>> threshold for that second (lets say the threshold is 20, 30 would be
>> blocked), or ban/deny the given IP for exceeding a threshold?
>>=20
>> The aim is to lessen strain under DoS attacks, specifically for HTTP.
>> The system is using Apache and mod_evasive has been added and tested,
>> but it is not functioning correctly.
>>=20
>> (P.S. The freebsd-ipfw list seems to be for development of the
>> technology only, so asking this here. Please let me know if this
>> isn=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2t the case)
>=20
> You might want to look at sshguard
>=20
> http://www.freshports.org/security/sshguard-ipfw/
>=20
> http://www.sshguard.net/

Thanks Shane. Do you have any examples of how to implement=20
this with Apache? Already have SSHGuard installed, so would
be ideal if I can extend the functionality to the Apache service.

Did a bit of googling on this before, but didn't find any=20
standard instructions (simple ones for simple minds) between=20
different sources and think perhaps I=E2=80=99ve missed something? I =
didn=E2=80=99t=20
add the rule `ipfw add deny all from 'table(22)' to any` that the=20
port=E2=80=99s description specified because I read somewhere else=20
it wasn=E2=80=99t necessary=E2=80=A6

And it also differed to this example documentation for ipfw (which I=20
found confusing):
http://www.sshguard.net/docs/setup/ =
<http://www.sshguard.net/docs/setup/>;

So, I=E2=80=99m thinking I either need to add the following to =
`/etc/rc.conf`:
=
`sshguard_watch_logs=3D=E2=80=9C/var/log/auth.log:/var/log/maillog:/var/lo=
g/httpd-access.log=E2=80=9D`
to get SSHGuard to poll the Apache log file, or I can pipe the=20
Apache logs directly into SSHGaurd like the syslogd example=20
(but I=E2=80=99m not sure how to do this one, or which one is best)? And =
do=20
I need to go back and setup some ipfw rules for SSHGuard to=20
work properly?

Thank you