Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:22:49 +1200
From:      Calvin Varney <calvin@varney.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Instalation directories

I'm new to the porting process and currently trying to port a java
application server.

From the porters handbook and hier man page I can figure out where
most files should be installed however I'm stumped as to where this
ports log files should be located.

I note some ports write to /var/log and others to
${PREFIX}/portname/log.

hier(7) states /var/log is for *system* log files, should that include
ports? Also, placing logs in the middle of a somewhat static file
structure under ${PREFIX}/portname/log strikes me as odd.

Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

--
Calvin Varney