Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 15:25:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        hetzels@aol.com (Scot W. Hetzel)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup release identity

> From: Chad R. Larson <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
> >I'll re-suggest an alpha-numeric counter instead of date/time, both for
> >economy (fewer characters) and to avoid debate about time zones and
> >daylight savings.  But I'd add a character that denotes which CVS tag
>
> I'm against an alpha-numeric counter, as a 2 digit counter only
> produces 1296 combinations.  If you look at the number of CTM updates
> for CURRENT, they are in the 3000, thus we'll have exhausted the
> combination long before we start.

I yield on the format of the counter.  It's more important to get
=something= done than to chatter about it.  But final statement:  When I
first proposed it, the two digit counter would use [A-Z][a-z][0-9]
characters, for which there are over 6700 combinations.

> Scot

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com