Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:01:23 -0700
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        adhir@forumone.com, "'Rich Winkel'" <rich@chumbly.math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        kris@hub.freebsd.org, mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org, manek@quadrunner.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.5-stable ?

acton% ssh s24 'uptime ; uname -a'
 8:55PM  up 427 days, 47 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.84, 0.63, 0.45
FreeBSD s24.yahoo.com 2.1-STABLE.Y-19971019 FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE.Y-19971019 #0: Thu Feb 19 01:50:10 PST 1998 root@s24.yahoo.com:/home/src/sys/compile/YAHOO  i386

the spread is about 20% still in 2.1, 60% in 2.2 and 20% in 3.x

the problem is not stability (we love 3.x) -- the problem is when you run
a site this big, you use what works .. you can't risk downtime "just
because we want to upgrade". Another major problem is that it takes time
for engineering to port the code to newer versions.

I suspect we will have no 2.1 machines in a year and no 2.2 machines in
two or three. Legacy is a dangerous thing -- why do you think there are
still shops which use dinosaurus-like mainframes with liquid cooling? ;)

-- Yan