Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:36:36 -0600
From:      Jay Moore <jaymo@cromagnon.cullmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Florian Hengstberger <e0025265@student.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject:   Re: Serial communication, terminal

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 03:22 am, Florian Hengstberger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a microcontroller with an uart interface.
> I want to communicate with my computer through the serial port
> of my FreeBSD box.
> Is it somehow possible to connect the serial io to a xterm?
> Case it is not: I don't want to write a program myself -
> is there an existing program handling the io?

open a terminal window & type in "minicom -s"

set the parameters as required to match your target

quit/exit minicom

now type in "minicom" & start your target

you may also need to chmod or chown your serial tty device to access the
serial port as a "regular" user.

HTH,
Jay

PS - thought I'd try this before sending the mail, but appears my 5.2.1 BSD
doesn't have minicom  :(  So - you may need to install it from the ports
collection.