Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 15:41:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      William Maddox <maddox@p-1.eng.sun.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        "Gregory P. Smith" <greg@nas.nasa.gov>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for Symbios vs. Adaptect SCSI

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> In general, the PCI interface on the Adaptec chips is unsurpassed
> in the industry.

This is very helpful information.  It does make it clear that Adaptec
makes sense at the high end.  You get what you pay for, etc...

> Now for typical workstation and server workloads where you don't
> have a fully populated PCI bus (Pluto boards can have up to 10
> devices per PCI bus), the Symbios parts should be able to provide
> performance comensurate with those provided by Adaptec.

This is where I am.  Small boxes where I use SCSI more for the
flexibility than the raw performance.  Reliability always matters,
however.

> them.  My plan is to write an assembler for the Symbios scripts
> engine so that the firmware is easier to read, modify, and understand.
> At that point, I would expect the Symbios parts to be as well
> supported under FreeBSD as the Adaptec parts.  I don't expect to
> get around to this until late this summer.

I don't know beans about writing device drivers, but I am a compiler
hacker by trade.  I'd be interested in working on an assembler if that
would speed things along a bit.

A final query:  Mike Tansca reported to me privately that he has had very
good results with Symbios controllers under 2.2.x, but has had problems with
3.x.  This does not seem particularly surprising given the transition to the
CAM-based SCSI subsystem.  Does this seem reasonable to you, or are the
Symbios drivers really just as bad in 2.2.x?

Thanks,

Bill Maddox