Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 08:22:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Monotonic" counter/register call - commit candidate.

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Mark Murray wrote:
> Hi
>
> Many thanks to those of you gave me all the constructive suggestions!
>
> Here is the commit candidate, taking into account as many of the
> reasonable ones as I could.
>
> WARNING! This is untested on Alpha and IA64.
>
> I considered renaming the function to marks(9), as I kinda liked
> that name, but on reflection, it seems way too arrogant, so
> Mike Smith's "get_jiffiecounter" won.

I really hate "jiffie" and would prefer using just get_cyclecount
or even better get_counter.  It would also be nice to know what
resolution the counter was, perhaps get_counter_res().  Do we
want an ID associated with the counter if there is more than
one available on the hardware?

On a somewhat related note, I could use something to measure time
that wasn't a system call in the threads library.  Is there a way
we can get a timer or something that was mmap'able?

--
Dan Eischen