Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:59:26 +0200
From:      Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
To:        Derek Barrett <derekbarrett@graffiti.net>, freebsd-cluster <freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Application cluster

Hi Derek,

>hahahahaha well as a fellow American then I should
>have replied, "Thanks partner! USA!"

Well I am relieved to see that this is still something that
exists!  Today I just left the main FreeBSD hackers list
because I found it to be just a margin too cut-throat.  These
days with what little time I have the last thing I want is
not to be taken seriously.  I regard email as a primary
communications method and for some to just pretend
the mail never got there is hard to tolerate (especially
when I send it directly to the individual--2-3 times).
I have the feeling that people are too childish to face
things directly.  Which is one of the reasons I am working
here--better environment. -- but enough flaming for
the moment ;-)

>I don't think you should dismiss your scripts that
>"only start and stop" as being laughable. To me,
>that's 75% of the battle. I know I've spent hours
>at times just getting my startup scripts to work
>properly, missing a switch here or there, the trial
>and error involved in that is alot sometimes. And
>getting a RELIABLE method of monitoring the other
>servers has still been a challenge for everyone.

Thanks for your complement...

>Truly, getting a failover
>server to successfully take over means:
>
>1) Reduced late night phone calls
>2) Not having to make as many late night phone calls :-D

I used to work at Hyatt's central computer division in
Chicago and I had many times "pager duty" and, yes I
can sympathize with you!

>And most of these types
>of scripts depend on having a second network card
>and a serial cable as well. The Linux HA
>servers even have a controlling server for the entire
>cluster called a Director. That your mechanism goes
>across a network card is nice, the less overhead, the better.

I allow the configuration of network addresses for each
node.  A heartbeat message is sent out over any and all
links that are present for the server.  The whole thing with
the serial cable seems rather archeaic.    I mean if the
networking layer has failed, the server is probably not
that usefull anyways!

>I mean, a couple thousand dollar hardware failover solution
>is nice, but so would a Ferrari as a company car. I recently worked
>in a high uptime enviornment, and every single server there had
>an identical backup, run by a hardware failover switch, and
>let me tell you, I got really SPOILED. The amount of
>stress relief that those failover switches provided made troubleshooting
>and maintenance a breeze.

Funny thing,  I worked for about 5 years with Sequent clusters and in
their earlier versions (< 2.0) the stand-alone machine was more reliable
that the same machine in a cluster.   At that time they really never got
more
than 2 nodes working right.  That was why I started with 3 nodes in the
beginning
as it changes the dynamics remarkably and these same dynamics work very
well on 2 nodes too.

>Let me see what I can come up with for a place for you to post your file.

Meanwhile I need to dust off the work I was doing (I had modularized it with
DSO support and added some process statis collecting so that you can
from one
point monitor processes on any node of the cluster).    I also improved
the build
environment--it was previously very rickety.

Andy