Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:27:32 -0500
From:      "After 50 News Weekly / Niagara" <rnw@niagara.retirementnewsweekly.ca>
To:        "freebsd-stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   After 50 News Weekly / Niagara

After 50 News Weekly / Niagara

Date: Nov 11th, 2011Last Month's Readers: 38,058=20

LOCAL NEWS
NIAGARA STUDENT TAKES HOME PRESTIGIOUS CULINARY AWARD=20

A cook apprentice of Niagara College's Canadian Food and Wine Institut=
e has taken home awards from some of the country's most prestigious cu=
linary competitions.
Nathan Dawe recently returned from Montreal as a silver medal winner f=
rom the National Chaines Des Rotisseurs Apprentice Competition. He rep=
resented Ontario at the competition =E2=80=93 one of the most respecte=
d competitions in Canada, held at the end of October =E2=80=93 after w=
inning a provincial title last spring.

"We are very proud of Nathan's remarkable accomplishment at this highl=
y respected national culinary competition," said Jon Ogryzlo, Dean of =
the Canadian Food and Wine Institute. "Nathan's award is the culminati=
on of very hard work and his commitment to excellence, and we look for=
ward to celebrating this championship with him and the team at Niagara=
 College."

=2E.. read more

NATIONAL NEWS
UNEMPLOYMENT RATE RISES ACROSS CANADA=20
54,000 Canadians lost their jobs last month causing the unemployment r=
ate to rise by 7.3 per cent according to Statistics Canada.
=2E.. read more

INTERNATIONAL NEWS
WONDER=C2=AE BREAD FINDS THAT MORE WOMEN READ FOOD LABELS=20
Weston Bakeries Limited, the maker of WONDER=C2=AE bread recently comm=
issioned=20
=2E.. read more

COLUMNIST
REMEMBERING THE HEROES OF OUR COMMUNITY=20
Every November, Canadians countrywide traditionally observe a moment o=
f silence when the clock strikes 11 a.m. on November 11. We do
=2E.. read more

SPORTS
PSU HAS FIRED LONG TIME COACH JOE PATERNO=20
The sex abuse scandal at Penn State University proved to be too much f=
or the board of=20
=2E.. read more

LIFESTYLE
ART AS A FORM OF THERAPY
Art isn't just a painting you hang on your wall. For the person who pa=
inted it, it was cathartic. If you look at a painting, not just the pi=
cture but the actual brush strokes and lines,=20
=2E.. read more

FEATURES
ASK DOREEN=20
What are your qualifications? I have been a licensed realtor since 198=
5, selling and servicing real estate needs in the region =E2=80=93 NOT=
L, Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, St. Catharines, both in resales and new h=
ome=20
=2E.. read more

ENVIRONMENT
HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS: KICKING 'EM OLD SCHOOL
Winter is coming and you might be thinking about giving the house a th=
orough=20
=2E.. read more

THIS WEEK IN HISTORY
NOVEMBER 14 =E2=80=93 NOVEMBER 18=20
The #1 song this week in 1960 was "Georgia On My Mind" by Ray Charles.=
 November 14 Today is World Diabetes Day! On this day in: 1902 =E2=80=93=
 President Teddy Roosevelt=20
=2E.. read more

SPIN THE GLOBE
HAWAII: A STATE THAT STANDS APART=20
The southern-most state in the U.S. is waiting for you. Hawaii is a ye=
ar-round vacation destination with temperatures that range from 75=C2=B0=
 to 85=C2=B0 Fahrenheit. All you need is=20
=2E.. read more

FIFTY & FABULOUS
TRANSITIONING YOUR SUMMER WARDROBE FOR FALL
   =20
With the first day of fall behind us, sadly it=E2=80=99s time to put a=
way those shorts and sandals and pull out those cable knit sweaters. W=
ho says Fall/Winter clothing has to be dull and dreary?! By pairing an=
y one these 5 key pieces with your summer wardrobe you can instantly t=
ransform

1. Scarves
Scarves are an excellent addition to a summer outfit instantly transfo=
rming it for fall. Opt for bold prints and bright colours sure to make=
 a statement; these
=2E.. read more

YOUR RETIREMENT
GIFTING MONEY=20
Spoiling grandchildren often goes beyond showering them with the hotte=
st new toys; financial gifts are usually doled out too. If these finan=
cial gifts are happening on a regular basis though, it may be time to =
consider
=2E.. read more

EDITOR'S LETTER
LEST WE FORGET
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, T=
hat mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, f=
ly Scarce heard amid the guns below. We are the Dead. Short days ago W=
e lived, felt
=2E.. read more

After 50 News Weekly
is a resource tool for the 50-plus active lifestyle community in Niaga=
ra. We provide you with up-to-date information on retirement, news and=
 local events, all at your fingertips! If there is a topic you would l=
ike us to feature or if you have any questions or comments, please Con=
tact Us. For our advertising rates, please contact Graham Pomeroy at g=
raham@pomeroynewscorp.ca or call directly at 905-988-9339.
Sincerely,
Victoria Lewis, Director of Operations=20

Please do not reply to this email. Replies to this email will not be r=
esponded to or read. If you have any questions or comments, contact us=
 by email at info@pomeroynewscorp.
=20
Cancel your subscription: Click here.=20
Sends us a news tip: Click here.
To Submit an Event: Click here.=20