Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:11:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Veaceslav Revutchi <vr@dnt.md>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern.maxproc read-only

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Veaceslav Revutchi wrote:

> hello
> for god sake can anyone tell me how to increase the subject in 2.2.6.
> It appears to be read-only.
>
> I have a crowded news server and it's giving this "cannot fork" and
> "resource temporarily unavailable" messages.

Why don't you increase MAXUSERS in your kernel config and rebuild a new
kernel. Use something alot bigger than what it's set to now.

Also, READ param.c :

#define NPROC (20 + 16 * MAXUSERS)
#define MAXFILES (NPROC*2)
int     maxproc = NPROC;                        /* maximum # of processes */

Increasing MAXUSERS in your kernel will make your god forsaken problem go
away. :-)

--
"You both seem to be ignoring the fact that the networking market is
driven by so-called 'IT professionals' these days, most of whom can't