Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:02:01 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpd fails on boot

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 06:02:53PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> For example: if you have two NICs (LAN and WLAN), both of which are
> connected + configured during network configuration time, and both go to
> the Internet, then it really doesn't matter which interface you choose
> in netwait_if.  If you rely more on the WLAN interface (e.g. physical
> LAN might not always be connected depending on your environment), then
> pick the WLAN interface and be done with it.

I have found that for such a configuration (laptop with LAN and WLAN) a
very good solution is configuring a lagg interface to failover with the
wired interface as primary and the WLAN as backup connection, then the
system sees just one network interface and you avoid all the problems
multihomed hosts tend to have.

In this way one can also flawlessly move around from wired to wireless
interface just connecting and disconnecting the wired interface.

This may or may not be also a good solution for other setups.

I find this script very useful on some servers though. Some machines I
have put the network interfaces offline after the kernel probe and they
don't come back up for a minute or so. Since I absolutely need the
interface up and working for ntpd and other demons such a script is a
life saver!

Just my 2 cent! ;)

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>