Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 10:12:42 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        Boris <koester@x-itec.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

On Friday, 22 December 2000 at 11:56:12 +0800, Kathy Quinlan wrote:
> If someone does know where these lists exist or a list that can do these
> sorts of problems, can they please let me know. As apart from these I am
> also looking at porting picoBSD over to an atmel thumb uC. So I will be
> looking at C/ C++ General, Kernel and Networking.

Hmm.  A developer mailing list for newbies seems a little unusual.

>>   I think about something like this:
>>
>>   makefiles-mailinglist (a list about makefiles and ports in general)
>>   c-general
>>   c++-general
>>   c-networking
>>   c++-networking
>>   c-driver
>>   c++-driver
>>   c-security
>>   c++-security
>>   c-kernel-level
>>   c++-kernel-level

This one would be pretty quiet.

>>   c-QA (for discussions about stress-testings and so on)
>>   c++-QA
>>   other things..
>>
>>   It would be interesting for me. A list where a lot of people can
>>   exchange some knowledge. But it should come from freebsd.org not
>>   from somwhere else to keep everything together.

We already have a number of developer mailing lists.  They're not
built in the orthogonal manner you describe.  Instead, they split when
the traffic on one of them becomes too high.  I'd suggest you start
with FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org, and also look at the list at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.