Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:43:25 -0500
From:      Walt Roberts <wroberts@med.wayne.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adaptec 1542c and Exabyte 8200/tar: Device not config

I've run out of patience and your help would be greatly, graciously
appreciated!

Problem:  Swapped ADAPTEC 1502 out to use ADAPTEC 1542C after installing
3.3.x and can't get tar (or mount or mt) to access the EXABYTE 8200
(scsi device 4) to read the device.

History:  Since no device drivers appeared to be available for the 1502
and I have tarred stuff on 8 mm (DEC ULTRIX tarred files), I tried to
install the AHA-1542C board and an EXABYE-8200 (taken from the VAX) to
read the files.

The AHA installed and appeared to be properly identified by FreeBSD at
all the right spots.  During boot it tickled the exabyte numerous times
(slowly), and came up fine.

Camcontrol dev will show the aha1542 device on scbus0 but no devices.
Camcontrol periph will show the aha1542 likewise.
Camcontrol scan will then show the exabyte-8200 and hangs at this
point.  Kill -9 won't make this process go away.  Only reboot does.

Tar commands tried:
tar -tf  /dev/rsa0-6
(likewise mount and mt)

System:
FIC VA503+ (MVP3 chipset)/ AMD k6 233 MMX
64 Mb SDRAM/1 MB cache
onboard IDE/WD 6 Gb UDMA disks

Adaptec AHA-1542C  firmware  (ID=44) irq 9 dma 5  @ 0x330
    BIOS  v1.01 (which does find the exabyte box at 4 where it's
supposed to.)
    BIOS diagnostics work just fine -- report no problems

SMC Eznet 10 ethernet card (Realtek 80xx) PCI
Matrox Millenium AGP 2x vid card
Diamond Supra 2370 PCI card
        (modem -- doesn't work under UNIX needs drivers
            any known drivers? or tech specs and I'll write one myself
and pass it along)

Planned SCSI on the AHA controller (either 1502 or 1542 -- I don't care
just want it to work)
    -- microtek scanmaker e6
    -- exabyte 8200 #1
    -- exabyte 8200 #2

My background is mainly DEC (going all the way back to PDP-8s.)  I'm
sure I'm doing something stupidly simply wrong, (simpleminded type that
I am), but I'm out of brainpower on this one and I'd appreciate a little
help.

Walt Roberts
wroberts@med.wayne.edu

PS:  The 2.2.2 systems have been running non-stop for 2 years now,
without a glitch on other boxes -- maybe we should fix the w command to
give uptime in years days hours and minutes!  The production users are
ecstatic.