Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:53:21 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2-R installer bombs because I can't turn UDMA off...

Mike Meyer scribbled this message on Mar 15:
> > that's a good option if the fixit.flp contained a copy of sysctl, but
> > it doesn't, so it's quite hard when you don't have a copy of sysctl,
> > I guess I *COULD* manually mount the cdrom, and extract out sysctl
> > from the bin dist, but how the hell is Joe Newbie suppose to know how
> > to do all of this??
>
> Um - if you can mount the CDROM, you should be able to get to the
> fixit cdrom as easily as you get to the fixit floppy.

ummm... who said I had the fixit cdrom??  I only have the first cdrom
thanks to a friend (Thanks Doug White! :) ), and even if the second
cdrom is avail, there is no way I'm downloading a 600meg+ iso image
over a 28.8kbps Ricochet..

> And yes, it'd be a lot easier if we could get hardware vendors to
> install FreeBSD instead of Windows, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

ummm.. who said anything about having hardware vendors loading FreeBSD?
it wouldn't of helped in this case as I built the machine myself...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 408 975 9651
  Cu Networking