Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:53:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@TO.GD-ES.COM>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   fxtv suggestion

Greetings!

	I've been using 'fxtv' (1.02) under BSD/OS for a year or so (since BSDi
	included the Brooktree driver and 'fxtv' in their 4.2 release) with
	great success.

	Until recently the movies were created solely for software players
	('plaympeg', 'mtv', etc) and all worked very nicely.

	However, I've run into a bit of grief creating content destined for
	hardware players such as portable DVD/VCD players.  Hardware players
	demand the NTSC frame rate of 29.97 fps (frames per sec).  Feeding
	a hardware player with 30 fps causes a .1% (30 vs 30000/1001) drift with
	the result that the audio starts leading the video and after about
	8 or 9 minutes there's a ~.5 second lag which is very noticeable.

	My temporary solution was to create a small utility to process the
	YUV data (I'm using the MJPEG tools from mjpeg.sourceforge.net) and
	drop every 1000th frame (which is I'm told is how it's done).   Voila,
	sync'd playback all the way thru a VCD!

	What I've done, but not tested, is hack fxtv's "-batch" mode to
	implement a "-ntsc" option that drops every 1000th  frame (and the
	associated audio).   I was wondering if you'd be interested in the
	diffs or had other ideas how to generate NTSC compatible (29.97fps)
	output in lieu of 30fps.

	On another note I've found the mjpegtools from mjpeg.sourceforge.net
	to be very good indeed - the video encoder has support for both
	mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 and has been mmx'ified which brings about a 6 or 7x
	speed improvement.   Also included is a vastly improved 'mplex'
	program as well as a MP2 audio encoder.   Definitely worth a look at.

	Cheers,

	Steven Schultz
	sms@to.gd-es.com