Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:20:01 +0100
From:      "Ryan Baldwin" <ryan.baldwin@nexusalpha.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   sis900 ifconfig and static ip address

Hi,

I am trying to give my FreeBsd box a static ip address. I have set up
machines with static ip's before without problems. This machine used dhcp
previously. In rc.d I have changed

ifconfig_sis0="DHCP"
ifconfig_sis0="inet 192.168.2.100 subnet 255.255.255.0"

192.168.2.100 is the address it used to be assigned via dhcp. The dhcp
server on my network is now disabled. The problem is that now when ifconfig
runs during boot
the card does not report an ip address. If I run ifconfig it shows that the
cards autodetected the media ok - but it does not have an ip address. The
interface is therefre not operational. This has worked for me in the past
OK. I've tried looking for solutions but with no luck so far. I would
appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they know of anything I might
have got wrong that would lead to this problem. As far as I'm aware this is
the first step in switching the box over to a static ip.

Thanks

Ryan