Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:48:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I ment the AIC7895 and not the AIC7985 :-)

In article <199804291638.SAA19643@internal> you wrote:

>> I would like to know how different is the AIC7895 chip
>> compared to the AIC7880 apart from supporting two SCSI
>> channels. I know it is supported in CAM and maybe the CAM
>> developers can tell me if it is more or less two 7880's
>> in one chip.

The 7895 has two, completely independent, SCSI sequencers and
risc processors, each with two DMA FIFOs, dumping into a single
PCI bus module.  These two "cores" provide similar functionality
to independent aic7880s, but the register set is somewhat different
and it would be non-trivial to add support for the aic7895 to the
older driver.  The main difference is the way commands must
be queued to the chip, but there are other, performance related,
features that should also be supported.

--
Justin