Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 15:41:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound?

Hi,

	I was expecting to have to buy a sound card to work with freebsd
since my fairly cheap mobo (biostar M7VKB
www.biostar.com.tw/products/m7vkb.htm)  has onboard pci sound.  But I
started to get my hopes up when I saw in my dmesg:

chip2: <VIA 82C686 AC97 Audio> port
0xe400-0xe403,0xe000-0xe003,0xdc00-0xdcff irq 9 at device 7.5 on pci0

I built a kernel with device pcm, but the dmesg stays the same as it was
before, as above.  ie, no pcm device.
I also tried MAKEDEV snd0 which gave no errors.

Is there something I'm missing?  And is there a good way to test if sound
is working?  Or am I just out of luck with this card?   Or is there
support for this sound chipset being produced?   Help would be much
appreciated.

						Tim