Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:19:52 +0200
From:      Patrick Proniewski <patpro@patpro.net>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what about java application performances ?

On 21 avr. 2006, at 08:26, Mike Jakubik wrote:

> Patrick Proniewski wrote:
>> there is an extensive discussion here about MySQL performance on
>> FreeBSD compared to linux and also comparing various options on
>> FreeBSD side (threading lib, ...). What about Java application
>> perfs (tomcat and other) ? Are there any benches around comparing
>> multi-user java application performances on FreeBSD and Linux ?
>
> These are very specific benchmarks, perhaps you could start some of
> your own. Also, do not dismiss the advantage of  an OS that is very
> easy to manage and keep up to date.

well, in fact I'm barely able to install a Linux on our existing
hardware. My first attempt to put a debian on the fujitsu RX300
(first gen) with a good kernel (more than 4Go RAM and SMP) is an
absolute failure. I'm very far from being able to deliver benchmarks.
But well, it's my very first debian install.

By the way, I understand that installing a native java on FreeBSD is
not straighforward, isn't it ? one have to go with a java in
compat_linux and then build a java for the freebsd host, is it right ?

Patrick