Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:08:12 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        mpd <mpd@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cat: A bug or just as it should be?

mpd wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 11:39:26PM +0200, Paul Everlund wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I have the following directory structure:
> >   /usr/home/home/'users'/'users files'
> >
> > When in /usr/home/home, as root, doing 'cat *'
> > I get very strange output. It's a lot of not
> > viewable characters, but also file names of
> > existing files in /usr/home/home/'users' and
> > in /usr/home/home/'users'/'users files'. The
> > strangest of all is that even files that has
> > been removed shows up.
> >
> > Is this reproduceable on other computers run-
> > ning 4.5-RELEASE as well? Is it a bug in cat,
> > or is this a normal behaveiour?
>
> That's what happens when you cat directories
> or binary files. The removed filenames may just
> be from history files or other things that
> keep track of things like that.
>
> mike

It can't be history, as there for example are no
.history in /usr/home. Doing 'ls -l' in this dir-
ectory yields the following:
fw# ls -l
total 2
drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel  512 20 Mar 01:20 home
fw#

Doing a 'cat *' there gives the following result
(edited somewhat by me: "UUU" means an active user
and "uuu" means an user who has been removed):
hE?
   ??.<8?
         ??..· "UUU"yF?
                          ??"uuu"·???"UUU"-pF?¶?
"UUU"fF????"UUU"lQ-gF????"UUU"mQ-:????"UUU"^F?

??w
ww¦C?h??        "UUU"-C?T??"uuu"fw#

Those "uuu" users, removed ones, are in no .his-
tory as there are no history file in the directory
/usr/home.

Best regards,
Paul