Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 06:25:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        mpp@mppsystems.com (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

[CC: whacked back to -arch]

> On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 10:53:43PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > > : users I know, only about 10% use csh over tcsh and that is only bec=
ause
> > > : csh is in the base system.  Those people would not even notice the =
extra
> > > : tcsh features.
> >=20
> > Trust me I would notice the mis-features.  Once installed tcsh 'cas I w=
as
> > told how great it was.  Riped it out 4 hours later due to incompatibili=
ties
> > with these 40 year old, 20 year BSD csh trained fingers of mine would k=
eep
> > typing things that tcsh didn't like.
>=20
> Sorry to add to a thread that I should probably stay away from...but...
>=20
> Having used csh for almost as long as Rod has, I can sometimes tell
> within 10 minutes after logging in if I'm using csh or tcsh.  There are
> differences.  I haven't tried a recent tcsh port in a while, but
> since there is a lot of discussion about this, I think that we should
> hold off on any changes.

It took me all of 4 commands and I was already running into diffences,
mainly in the ``command completion'' that O'Brien wants this for.  Well,
tcsh and csh are quite diffent in how they do file name completion.

2 key strokes is not a penalty I am going to pay.  (esc vs esc esc).

Having it add trailing / is another one I dislike.  And what is that
damn space there for on non-dirs.   I really dislike that.  I often
complete a filename and tack something on, as in:
	cp foo foo.bak
typed as:
	cp f=1B f=1B.bak

tcsh makes me do:
	cp f=1B=1Bf=1B=1B=08.bak

ARGHH!!!  This is not effecient...
exit
pkg_delete tcsh
see ya....

>=20
> Just to see if my point is still valid, I think I'll go install
> tcsh and start using it as my shell for a while.

You won't last long.  I actually kept ponding away at it until it
caused me to do something stupid.... :-(  All of 20 minutes maybe.

Now.... I did my part... I tried tcsh.  I say that it is in no way
user transparent if we change /bin/csh, and it will down right frustrate
a few people.

--=20
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.=
net