Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:49:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com>
To:        v.demartino2@virgilio.it
Cc:        ttt@cwru.edu
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding everything

it was said:

Darksidex wrote:
>>How could I re-compile and re-install everything to take into
>>account the new directives in make.conf?
>>Ciao
>>Vittorio
>>

> You can use portupgrade -vaf

<snip>

>I still consider myself very new to most of this, though, so
>I'm not certain, but I think the system should be able to
>determine your CPUTYPE automatically, without needing it
>hardcoded in make.conf.  I think you should only need to use
>this directive if for some reason it's improperly detecting
>your cpu type.

<snip>

Hello,

Using CPUTYPE= in make.conf causes the complier to optimize for
the specific CPU. Otherwise, it does a "generic" compile that
would run on any CPU. The two easiest ways to improve system
performance are to build a custom kernel that has all the
uneeded options and devices removed and to tweak make.conf.
Before doing either, read man tuning and man make.conf. Also, to
find out what all the stuff in the kernel conf does, see
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES (assuming you're running 5.x on an
Intel or Intel-compatible platform.

hth,

stheg