Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:34:38 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It's 2008.  1 TB disk drives cost $160.  Quotas are 32-bit.

John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com> writes:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, [utf-8] Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav wrote:
> > John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com> writes:
> > > [long rant about how 64-bit quotas should take precedence over
> > > everything else we do]
> > FreeBSD is a volunteer-driven open source project.  Basically, this
> > means you don't get to dictate what people work on.  It also means
> > you don't get to throw shit at people the way you just did.
> When I offered monetary rewards for these items:
>
> http://www.rsync.net/resources/notices/2007cb.html
>
> http://blog.kozubik.com/john_kozubik/2007/12/bounty-posted-f.html
>
> they were merely polite suggestions.  That's because, at the end of the
> day, FreeBSD on the desktop, and these particular aspects of FreeBSD on
> the desktop, must be kept a bit down on the priority list.
>
> The core, expected functionality of a unix operating system are a
> different story.  Nobody cares about your feelings.

You seriously need to reconsider your attitude.

FreeBSD is volunteer-driven.  If you want something done, you can either
do it yourself, or provide incentive for someone else to do it for you.
I see you're trying to do the latter, and that's great, but it does
*not* entitle you to berate people for doing something else.

Bear in mind, also, that this is not a zero-sum game.  Pawel and Ivan
worked on ZFS and gjournal because they felt like it.  If they hadn't
been allowed to do so, they wouldn't have fixed quotas instead; they
would just have gone somewhere else.

> > > There is nothing new or experimental in moving quotas from 32 to
> > > 64 bit.
> > It breaks backward compat rather badly.  All quotas need to be
> > recalculated, and there no way to tell whether the existing quota
> > file is 32-bit or 64-bit.
> As I said, nothing new or experimental.

I hardly think you're qualified to judge the level of difficulty
involved.  If you were, you'd be busy fixing the problem, not bitching
about it.

> Please note that you've had five years to address this:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/projects/bigdisk/index.html
>
> That task list, and the things left undone on it, are a joke.

Absolutely.  Lists like this are pointless: they are never complete,
they are never up-to-date, and they never reflect the relative
importance of the listed items accurately.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no