Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 16:33:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jozef Bednarik <bed@cedo.cz>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it conform our demands?

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Jozef Bednarik wrote:

> We are planning to use one of our PCs (Pentium based) as a file server and
> simultaneously for the Internet connection. For that purpose we are
> searching for a good free UNIX-type operating system.

You've turned to the right place.

> There are several possibilities, but we are not familiar enough with
> most of them to be able to choose the one that conforms our demands in
> the best way. And because it is not so easy to get all of this
> information on the web pages, we try to get it directly from the (well
> informed) technicians of the appropriate companies and/or organizations.
> Since FreeBSD is also in the scope of our interest, we kindly ask you to
> provide us with this information.

No problem.

> We would like to know whether this operating system (and which version,
> if not all)  supports the following features:

     NIS (yellow pages)				yes
     DNS					yes
     automount					yes
     PPP					yes
     PPP dial on demand				yes
     SMTP					yes
     POP3					yes
     IMAP4					yes
     3Com fast ethernet adapter 3C905-TX (or at least any other fast ethernet
         card available on the market)		yes

Looks like FreeBSD fits the bill.  You should be able to use any version
of FreeBSD; I'd recommend our most recent release, 2.2.5.  You can
download FreeBSD online from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/ or you can order the
4-CD set from Walnut Creek CDROM, http://www.cdrom.com/.

We have the FreeBSD Handbook, FAQ, searchable mail archive, and other
resources available at http://www.freebsd.org/.

If you need help getting any of these services set up and you can't find
anything on the web pages, please mail questions@freebsd.org; we'd be
happy to help.