Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:36:25 +0100
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   file system trouble

Hi list,

This morning i had a strange problem:
The /home filesystem was full (121G partition on a 3ware escalade raid)
So i deleted 7G, but df did not show any difference. The fs is mounted w/
soft-updates. I issued a sync command, but still no change. The files were no
longer shown in ls, but space was not freed. So i decided to reboot, to make
sure that the deleted files are not still opened by some process.
The shutdown went normal, but at the end it said:

sysncing disks..

3321 3321 3321 3316 .....

I dont't know the exact numbers anymore, but it printed some 40x80 lines of 4
digit numbers, the last line was all 1s and then said:

giving up on 1 buffers.

When rebooting, all fs were unclean and i had to wait the usual 20 minutes for
fsck to complete.

What has been going on here?

I use 4.6.2-RELEASE

Heinrich
--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341