Date:      16 Sep 2001 13:49:16 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        john_m_cooper@yahoo.com, gnome@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bugbuddy build failure

 * From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail.ru>

 * Umm, no, bugbuddy already receives oaf dependency through USE_GNOME knob. From
 * what I saw in the log I can tell that to me it looks like there is some more
 * fundamental problem with bento itself, because it tries to build bugbuddy
 * even though one of the packages it depends upon is missed (see piece of log
 * below). I have no idea why it may be happening, though.

As I reported before, it is sshd that is misbehaving.  The package
building scripts are fine -- they have been handling dependencies the
exact same way for several years now.

It's this piece of code that's failing.

===
while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do
  if ssh -a ${master} [ -f ${packages}/All/$1 ]; then
    if [ ! -f ${chroot}/tmp/depends/$1 ]; then
      echo "copying package $1 for ${pkgname}"
      scp -p $master:${packages}/All/$1 ${chroot}/tmp/depends
    fi
  else
    echo "skipping package $1 for ${pkgname} since it is missing"
  fi
  shift
done
===

If the "ssh" command fails, it will not copy the necessary package.
The package *is* on the master when this happens.  For instance, I
just got an error saying libiconv is missing, but it was built two
days ago according to the timestamp so there is no race condition.

I have seen similar errors before, when Paul Saab told me that it was
ConnectionsPerPeriod in /etc/ssh/sshd_config that needed to be tweaked
to allow a very high access rate like the package cluster master.
However, that knob has gone away, (apparently) replaced by
MaxStartups.  I changed it to 200:5:300 as shown below but the problem
still persists.

===
# ConnectionsPerPeriod has been deprecated completely

# After 10 unauthenticated connections, refuse 30% of the new ones, and
# refuse any more than 60 total.
MaxStartups 200:5:300
===

I just noticed that there ase some of these messages:

===
rresvport: af=2 Resource temporarily unavailable
===

printed out when I try to build the packages by hand.  I am not sure
if they are related.

Satoshi