Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:31:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porting strategy - pine4 + SSL

I have made a preliminary patch (hack?) to add SSL to pine (it's like
clicking the 'server requires secure connection' box - POP or IMAP over
SSL).

The pine4 port is fairly involved. Adding my stuff is almost downright
trivial. It amounts to adding

BUILD_DEPENDS=	${PREFIX}/lib/libssl.a:${PORTSDIR}/security/SSLeay \
		${PREFIX}/lib/libcrypto.a:${PORTSDIR}/security/SSLeay \
		${PREFIX}/lib/libRSAglue.a:${PORTSDIR}/security/SSLeay \
		${PREFIX}/lib/librsaref.a:${PORTSDIR}/security/rsaref

RESTRICTED=	"Contains cryptography - no export from US"

DISTFILES+=	pine4+ssl-1.0
MASTER_SITES+=	ftp://ftp.kfu.com/pub/

(the pine4+ssl-1.0.tar.gz file isn't there yet. :-) )

and modifying the Makefile to add "EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=ssl" to the end
of the "build" command.

How should I do this? Should I copy the pine4 port entirely?
Should I modify the existing pine4 adding conditional stuff to
handle ssl? Can someone suggest a hackish way to piggyback onto
the existing pine4 port with a new port consisting only of the
steps above, but preserving the steps of the original port?