Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:04:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD early days... (fwd)

> With the emergence of FreeBSD, came the connection with Walnut Creak
> cdrom. They hired Rod Grimes to ride hurd on it full time, and the new
> group decided that a CVS server was the way to go for tracking the
> software. Thus focus shifted from ref.tfs.com to Freefall.cdrom.com
> which later also became freefall.freebsd.org.
>
> Rod was (still is) a skydiver and thus the names of some of the machines..
> freefall, and thud. After Rod left to persue his own businesses, those who
> followed didn't keep up the skydiving references.

Actually, just a few corrections here.  The connection with Walnut
Creek CDROM came about through my calling them on the phone from
Ireland purely because I liked their Aminet CDROM and thought they had
the best "production values" of any of the 5 or 6 CDROM publishers
represented on my shelf.  Once we had established the basis for some
sort of relationship, they asked for someone to work with them on a
more personal basis and Rod, who was just up the west U.S. coast a bit
and far closer than I in Ireland or Nate in Montana, was hired to come
down for 3 months (was it 3, Rod?  I can't remember the initial fabled
number :) and do the CD.  He ended up staying closer to a year and
creating their entire internal LAN as well as a number of servers and
god-only-knows what else and, oh yes, just happened to eventually
produce a CD while he was down there as well. :-)  I think I took
over the next CD after that and I've been basically doing them ever
since.

Also, just to really pick nits, "thud" was not one of Rod's machine
names, that was mine and based on the Dilbert cartoon which we'd stuck
on freefall.  In this cartoon, Dilbert says "I'm thinking of taking up
skydiving, Dogbert, what do you think?" Dogbert replies "Thud"
and Dilbert, now looking rather concerned, says "You mean ``thud,
ouch!'' or just ``Thud!?''"  As I recall, Rod didn't find the joke
anywhere nearly as amusing as the rest of us, but ah well - thud is
gone now, RIP. :-)

- Jordan