Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 05:06:33 +0000
From:      Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My computer keeps crashing

On 01/20/05 19:06:22, cali wrote:
> If this is the wrong mailing list, I apologise, suggestions to a more
> appropriate mailing list will be appreciated.
>=20
> Reasonably recently I upgraded my hardware to the following:
>=20
> Soltek SL-NV400-64 "Purple
> Ray" (Socket A) Motherboard
>=20
> AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3200+
> 400FSB (Socket A) CPU - OEM
>=20
> Asus DRW-0402P DVD-R/RW -
> Retail
>=20
> Adata 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS 2.5
> Adata 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS 2.5
>=20
> Zalman Flower CNPS6000-Cu
> Silent Socket A CPU Cooler -
>=20
> Antec Sonata Piano Black
> Quiet Case - 380W TruePower
> Silent PSU
>=20
> Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19''
> Perfectly Flat CRT Monitor -
> Black/Silver
>=20
> Geforce FX 5200 graphics card
>=20
> IBM 60GB HD
>=20
> Western Digital 160GB HD
>=20
> Sometimes when I run CPU intensive applications  the system will
> crash at seemingly unpredictable times, I have to hard reset the =20
> machine as it
> is completely unresponsive, I was running an experiment in console =20
> mode and it showed me the kernel panic:

With those uptimes I would say your heat sink and fan(hsf) is to blame.  =20
The old idea about amds running hot is kind of crap, any cpu will run =20
hot if not installed correctly or overclocked.  You got that white =20
stuff between the cpu and hsf?

I checked your hsf on the net and in silent mode it does not support =20
your cpu speed, though it does in normal higher speed fan mode.  If you =20
have the fan make sure to keep it in normal mode or it may bake your =20
cpu!  =20
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=3D33&code=3D005009010

Try this command several times after you boot.  Then after you boot =20
your box do it while under load.

sysctl -a|grep thermal

That will tell you your cpu temp, you'll need acpi on.  If you did not =20
put the hsf on right it will go up and you get problems like after 5 =20
minutes or less.  I set my bios heat alarm to go off and set a shutdown =20
temp too.  You might want to check that stuff out in your bios too.  Go =20
to amd.com and get that pdf on how to install the hsf, I made a mistake =20
a month ago when I was switching out cpus and that was my problem.

Everything else looks good, but do you have some case fans?  I moved a =20
120mm fan over near my cpu and my 100% load temp while folding droped =20
about 10C.  I am overclocked and it was maxing out at about 58C or =20
less.  Now it hardly hits 50C, usaully 48C but it might go down to 45C =20
if it is cool in my room.  I wonder how it will do in the summer? :)