Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:01:45 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (almost) Ready to ditch device major numbers.

In the last episode (Feb 26), Kris Kennaway said:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:33:48PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > We are now (almost) ready to ditch device major numbers if we want
> > to.
>
> There are a number of ports that create device nodes in the package
> tarball (e.g. the linux_base ports which create a shadow /dev).  How
> will this be affected under your plans?

linux_base-7.1_2 doesn't put anything in /compat/linx/dev, and I don't
see anything in linux_base-6's plist that indicates it does, either.

Anything that tries to generate a device node in /dev from userland
should already fail anyway, right?  devfs won't let you do anything
except make symlinks.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com